HISTORIC RENOVATION

St. John's Church at Lafayette Square was built in 1815 and known as "The Church of the Presidents".  James Madison attended service here and since then every President has followed.  Due to its historic significance Monarc was faced with special challenges in preserving historic characteristics of the building.  Monarc completed interior and exterior renovation of the historic structure and upgraded the mechanical, electrical, data and security system.

Glen Echo Spanish Ballroom The restoration project undertaken by Monarc Construction was a two-part contract for Montgomery County consisting of the historical restoration of the Spanish Ballroom ($4.9 million) and the reconstruction of the North Arcade ($6 million).  The Spanish Ballroom contains the best ballroom dance floor in North America, which was renovated and preserved.  The architecture of the building is of a Spanish Mediterranean design with stucco walls and clay roof tiles.  It features Spanish-style decorative painting, which has been restored.  The roof of the building failed many years ago, and there had been an extraordinary amount of damage to the structure and stucco finish.  The building has now been thoroughly restored, with most of the original finishes in tact.