St. Mark's Church - Capitol Hill: Washington, DC
Owner: St. Mark's Church - Capitol Hill
Architect: Bonstra | Haresign Architects
Built in the 1880s just blocks east of the US Capitol, St. Mark's expanded with an annex in 1926. With needs to further expand its growing parish, and facilitate outside organizations and functions, the Church contacted Monarc to help reconstruct the interior space of the annex. Within the original footprint of the annex, Monarc underpinned, excavated, shored and reframed the roof increasing the occupiable space by three folds.
Awards: *ABC Award of Excellence in Construction
St. John's Church, Lafayette Square: Washington, DC
Owner: St. John's Church
Architect: Bowie Gridley Architects / Oehrlein and Associates
Situated within walking distance of the White House, St. John's was built in 1816 and is known as the "President's Church". Over the years the church endured multiple alterations to accommodate community and Presidential needs. As part of a 21st century update, Monarc was selected to restore the historic fabric while carefully coordinating the modernization of the MEP systems. Contracted in 2008, Monarc completed the work within 7 months just ahead of President Obama's inauguration.
Awards: *ABC Award of Excellence
Capitol Hill Baptist Church: Washington, DC
Owner: Capitol Hill Baptist Church
Architect: Cox Graae + Spack Architects
Divided into two phases, the West Hall and Main Hall of the church were renovated sequentially. Phase I (West Hall) - consisted of new MEPs, finishes and construction of a new pantry food serving area.
Phase II (The Main Hall) - consisted of a new balcony, seating and an expansion of new bay for additional pews. Along with this were new lighting, millwork, flooring and plaster/painting restoration.
St. Nicholas Cathedral - Orthodox Church in America: Washington, DC
Owner: St. Nicholas Cathedral Orthodox Church in America
Architect: Engineering Connection
Originally completed in 1962, the cathedral is based on the 12th century Russian architecture. With its beautiful interior paintings and murals, Monarc delicately removed and replaced the entire mechanical system of the sanctuary. All work was completed while the church remained open for services on weekends.