Tivoli Theatre:  Washington, DC

 

Owner: Horning Brothers/Sunrise Development Corp.
Architect: MR&A Architects / Oehrlein & Assoc. Architects

Completed in 1924 at a cost of $1.0 million, the theater was, until its closing in 1976, one of the most elegant movie houses in Washington, DC.  In addition to the main theater auditorium, the building contained offices and shops along the 14th Street and Park Road frontages. 

Monarc was engaged as a specialist contractor to renovate and restore this DC landmark.  As one of the biggest challenges of the project, the main theater roof structure was replaced while retaining the interior plaster dome and embellishments.  Interior plaster, exterior stucco, windows, doors, canopies, signs, etc. were all restored to their original details.


George Washington University Faculty Club:  Washington, DC

 

Owner: The George Washington University
Architect: Archetype

 

Two Civil War Era (circa 1860) row houses, formerly the residence of Marjorie Filene, founder of Wolftrap, and the former Uruguayan Embassy, were combined into a modern state-of-the-art entertaining and media center which houses the George Washington University Presidential memorabilia collection which is displayed in various areas throughout the property. 

This project required extensive underpinning, excavation and structural reframing; restoration of the interior stairs, windows, doors and finishes; and incorporation of all new MEPs, elevator, anda fully equipped commercial kitchen.


National Airport - Main Terminal Exterior Restoration:  Alexandria, VA

 

Owner:  Metropolitan Washington Airport Authority
Architect:  John Milner Associates, Inc.

Winter weather in DC causes havoc to transportation, and air travel is no exception.  With extra precaution taken during snow and icy conditions, planes are typically de-iced using chemicals which ironically also deteriorated the historic concrete main terminal.  Originally developed to treat concrete infrustructures such as bridges,  a process call electrochemical chloride extraction and realkalization was used to help restore the main terminal avoiding intrusive destructive methods.